Thursday 9 May 2013

Papercraft Storage: Organizing Paper {Part 2}

Welcome to Part 2 on organizing paper, this time focusing on designer series paper (DSP).

A while ago, when Michael's had a sale, I purchased a few storage/organizer cubes, one of them being a file cube that fits 12" x 12" paper. I thought this would be perfect for my designer series paper! It came with a few hanging file folders, but because I have so much DSP, I had to purchase a couple of extra packs of file folders. I labeled each folder with the DSP name and organized them alphabetically so the paper is easy to find. In the front of each folder, I placed a piece of cardboard (using the ones that come with each DSP pack) and wrote the coordinating colours that are in that DSP pack. Here are a couple pictures to illustrate:



Just like I did with the cardstock, I separated out all the scraps of DSP, put them in ziploc bags, and stuck them in the appropriate file folder with the matching DSP.

Over time I have also purchased the DSP stacks of Stampin Up colour collections (Subtles, Brights, Regals, Neutrals, and In-Colours). These are filed in a separate filing box. Again, I found this at Michael's and purchased it when it was on sale (for about $12). It came with 3 file folders, which of course wasn't enough, so I purchased extra packs (these are not cheap, but I had a coupon). Here's a top-view of the filing box (I put extra packs of 12" x 12" cardstock in this filing box as well):



I really like the size of this box. It fits perfectly beside my desk next to my filing box of cardstock. The lid also has a couple compartments that could be quite handy.

For all other designer series paper (from local scrapbooking/craft stores) I put in this 12" x 12" paper storage 'bin', organizing them by colour:



I spent some time creating two Stampin Up Colour Coordination Charts. They both list the name of the DSP collections and the coordinating colours, but they are sorted differently. For example, say you want to use Daffodil Delight designer series paper on your card, but you're not sure which DSP collection has this colour. The Colour Coordination Chart lists the colours alphabetically and in the 2nd column lists the DSP that this colour is in. The second chart, entitled DSP Colour Coordination Chart, lists the name of the DSP in alphabetical order. If you want to use a specific DSP collection and want to know which coordinating colours are in that DSP collection, this list is a handy reference.
Of course, these lists will need to be updated as I get new DSP collections, as well as new colours, but, this is a great start, I think!

Hope you found this helpful!

Over the next few days I will be organizing other papercrafting supplies and hope to blog about it early next week. In the meantime, come back tomorrow for a new KCRR challenge!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment