Wednesday 29 January 2014

30th Birthday Celebration

A couple days ago, we celebrated my hubby's 30th birthday! While he may think he's getting old, he is forever young in my eyes :) He is a wonderful, thoughtful, optimistic, determined, encouraging person; a talented photographer and an avid outdoorsman. Oh ya... and handsome too!

 
Words cannot express how much I love this guy!
 
To celebrate, we enjoyed a delicious dining experience at a local restaurant called the White Goose Bistro. He had his favourite - red wine and seafood, and I tried chicken cordon bleu with roasted potatoes and white wine. So good!
 
Of course, I made him a unique handmade card. I struggled at first with the design of my card, knowing that it had to be special. I decided to stick with the "30" theme and I was very pleased with the result:
 
 
I started with a 5" x 5" square card, then simply drew the '30' and cut it out, leaving the fold at the top of the '30'. I cut 1" strips of designer paper and glued them on the card front, then re-cut the 30 shape. I added a fun banner using bakers twine and the pennant punch. Three candy dots embellish the card.
 
 


 
For his birthday this year, I decided to get him a unique gift, something he would never guess! And I totally surprised him! (this is hard to do, as he usually picks out exactly what he wants or simply buys it himself). I wanted to give him a chance to guess, so I made a gift tag with a hint on it...
 
 
 
You're probably thinking, a shark? really? What could this gift possibly be? haha... this was Kevin's reaction exactly. Well let me explain... usually once a year we like to drive down to Kelowna for a mini weekend getaway. They have an awesome store called "Bones and Stones" and we make sure to stop there every time. They have the most unique house décor items from all over the world. We have added a few stones, etc. to our collections. But one thing Kevin has been eyeing up are the megalodon shark teeth that they sometimes sell there and so I knew this would be the perfect gift.
 
 
To give you an idea, this single tooth is actually 5.09" in length. Here's a better picture of how big these sharks actually were:
 
 
Here's wishing Kevin the best year yet!
 
Card Ingredients:
Stamps: Family Reunion (ret.), Pennant Parade, Fundamental Phrases (ret.)
Paper: Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Well Worn DSP, Regals DSP
Ink: Early Espresso
Tools: Petite Pennant Builder punch, 3/4" Circle punch
Accessories: Early Espresso bakers twine, Square Lattice embossing folder, Crumb Cake candy dots
 
Gift Tag:
Paper: Smokey Slate, Night of Navy, Baja Breeze, Basic Gray, Whisper White, Basic Black
Ink: White gel pen
Tools: Oval nestabilities, Petite Pennant Builder punch (for fins), Owl Builder punch (for the eyes), 3/4" Circle punch, 1" Circle punch (for waves)
Accessories: Gray bakers twine (CTMH)


No comments:

Post a Comment