Wednesday 12 March 2014

A Unique Birthday Card for a Talented Cabinet Maker

Today I'm going to share with you a unique birthday card that took a lot of brainstorming and creativity. We celebrate our brother-in-law's 37th birthday today! He is currently on vacation and probably enjoying every minute of it! Happy Birthday Mark! 

Mark is a cabinet maker and is very good at what he does. I thought it would be fitting to make a card that resembles his handiwork:


Neat, right? I thought of the gate fold while making this card, and that's how I created the cabinet doors. I started with a 7" x 5" piece of Early Espresso cardstock. To make the cabinet doors, I measured in from the 7" long side of the cardstock and scored at 1-3/8". I decided on 2" height for the top cabinets and 3" height for the bottom cabinets. I cut up to the 1-3/8" score mark and folded the 'flaps' or 'cabinet doors'. The middle section 'flaps' were cut off and discarded. The final card size ends up being 7" x 2.75". I then took the time to decorate it. The counter is simply a Very Vanilla piece of cardstock that was spritzed with Early Espresso marker (using the Spritzer tool). The 'back splash' is a piece of designer paper from the Well Worn series - it was perfect and exactly what I had in mind! For the top cabinet doors, I cut out the center using an xacto knife and glued window sheets to the doors (it's a bit hard to see in the pictures). I free-hand cut wine glasses. The bowl is simply the Small Oval punch cut in half and the plates were created using the Word Window punch. For the bottom cabinet doors, I created a 3-D layered look by using dimensionals to pop up the top layer. To finish it off, I stamped and cut out a small vase with flowers and placed it on the counter. 


Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoyed this little ounce of creativity! 

Make sure to stop by tomorrow for a new KCRR challenge! 

Card Ingredients:
Stamps: Bright Blossoms
Paper: Early Espresso, Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Well Worn DSP (ret.), Window Sheets
Ink: Early Espresso marker, Cajun Craze, Old Olive, Daffodil Delight
Tools: Spritzer tool, Small Oval punch, Word Window punch

No comments:

Post a Comment